Men steal a golden toilet – level 3
Four men have been charged with stealing an 18-carat gold toilet, worth approximately 5.9 million dollars, from Blenheim Palace in southern England.
The stolen fully functional toilet named America was part of an art exhibition by an Italian conceptual artist. The theft occurred during an early morning heist in 2019. The accused individuals, including James Sheen, are facing charges related to burglary and the transfer of criminal property. The toilet was originally displayed at Blenheim Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a significant tourist attraction. The burglars broke into the palace using two vehicles and removed the toilet before 5 a.m.
It remains uncertain if the stolen toilet has been recovered, and authorities have not provided information about its current status. Blenheim Palace expressed sadness over the loss, as the toilet had previously been exhibited at New York’s Guggenheim Museum. The four men will face court proceedings on November 28.
Difficult words: conceptual artist (an artist whose work is based on ideas and concepts rather than traditional art forms), heist (a daring theft or robbery), status (the situation at a particular time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What consequences will the four men face for the theft of the up to 5.9 million dollar toilet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.