Michael Jordan’s shoes sell – level 3
A pair of Nike Air Ships worn by Michael Jordan sold for a record-breaking 1.47 million dollars.
The shoes are the earliest known pair that were worn by Jordan as a professional during his fifth NBA game in his rookie season with the Chicago Bulls on November 1, 1984. Cards collector Nick Fiorela bought the shoes, and they set a new world record for the highest price achieved for a pair of sneakers at auction.
In 1984, Nike gave Jordan his own line of shoes and clothes to convince him to sign with the sports company. After that the Air Jordan was born and both Jordan and Nike immediately hit the jackpot. By the end of year four, Nike hoped to make 3 million dollars in sales; however, they’d made 126 million dollars by the end of year one. It was the first time the brand did anything like that, and it paved the way for many player collaborations that we now see.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.