Milk in a river – level 1
A tanker crashes into a river in Wales, United Kingdom, last week. Milk is inside the tanker. 28,000 liters of milk get into the river. The river changes color. It is white.
Many people drink milk. They do not think that milk can be dangerous. It can be very dangerous for animals in the river. It can kill the smallest animals.
Fish eat these animals. Birds and other larger animals eat fish. If the smallest animals die, many other animals can die, too.
The river begins to clear two days after the incident. Officials ask people to be watchful. People must report any dead fish. Scientists still watch the river and animals which live there.
Difficult words: tanker (a big car which usually carries milk, oil or gas), incident (an event), watchful (when somebody is careful because something can happen), report (to tell somebody about something that happens).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.