Miss Holocaust Survivor – level 2
Last week, 86-year-old Salina Steinfeld won the Miss Holocaust Survivor contest in Jerusalem, Israel. There were 10 contestants, aged 79 to 90, and all were Jewish.
They survived concentration camps and Nazi attacks during World War II. When the war ended, they moved to Israel, and they built new lives. In the contest, they wore beautiful clothes and makeup.
Some people said that the contest made the women’s lives less important, and it degraded the memory of the 6 million Jews who died in World War II. Other people disagreed. They believed that it was important to show that the women were still beautiful and happy even if they went through something so terrible.
Difficult words: contestant (a person who is in a contest or race), concentration camp (a special place where very many people lived, worked, and died, especially during World War II), degrade (to make something seem less important).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.