Miss Holocaust Survivor – level 3
An annual Israeli beauty pageant crowned an 86-year-old grandmother Miss Holocaust Survivor; it was designed to honor women who endured the horrors of Nazi genocide.
Ranging in age from 79 to 90, the contestants wore fashionable clothes, and with full hair and makeup, they walked on the catwalk in Jerusalem.
Organizers say that the contest presents glamour and respect to the shrinking number of Jewish women who lost their youth during World War II; later, they built new lives in Israel. The winner Salina Steinfeld was born in Romania where she survived Nazi attacks before moving to Israel in 1948. Other contestants included a woman born in Yugoslavia who survived a concentration camp in today´s Croatia.
Some critics and survivors worry that the event cheapens the memory of the 6 million Jews who the Nazis killed. However, others argue that the contestants deserve everyone to see the beauty in these women who went through such horror.
Difficult words: pageant (a beauty contest), genocide (the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular country or ethnic group), cheapen (to make someone or something seem less valuable or important).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.