Mission to Jupiter – level 1
The Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer goes to space from French Guiana. It will explore Jupiter’s moons.
The European Space Agency wants to learn about Europa, Callisto, and Ganymede. There may be life on these moons in the past. They are far from the sun, and they are icy. But they have a lot of water underneath. Scientists want to find out if there are hydrothermal vents. A hydrothermal vent means that hot water comes out from the sea bed. There could be life in the dark.
The mission will also find out about Jupiter’s Red Spot, the polar lights, and the magnetic field.
Difficult words: explore (to search a place), sea bed (the bottom of a sea), mission (a long journey with a task).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the possibilities of discovering evidence of past or present life on Jupiter's moons?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos