Money to US Universities – level 2
Some US colleges and universities did not report hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign gifts and contracts.
The US Department of Education said that Yale University did not report at least $375 million dollars in foreign gifts. The department said that Harvard did not give all information about foreign gifts.
However, it is the law that all US colleges and universities must say where their money gifts come from. They must report all foreign gifts bigger than $250,000 dollars.
It is usual that countries like China or Saudi Arabia give money to US universities. They want to have a stronger relationship with the universities.
Officials believe that it is important to be open and honest about money that schools get.
Difficult words: report (to give information about something), foreign (from other countries), contract (business).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos