Monsoon Flooding – level 3
Widespread monsoon flooding affected some 6.7 million people in India. Over 100 people in India and Nepal died in the flooding and landslides, and officials in Pakistan and Bangladesh say that over 40 people died from lightning strikes.
Over two million acres of farmland have been flooded, and homes and infrastructure damaged. People have been taking shelter on higher ground, in places like schools and temples.
India’s Disaster Management Authority is warning more people to be prepared for floods with first aid kits and other supplies. They also suggest that people disinfect their homes after flooding to ‘ensure cleanliness’, use mosquito nets to prevent malaria and avoid fallen power lines.
Red Cross and Red Crescent volunteers are in Bangladesh, India and Nepal to help deliver emergency supplies.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.