Moon Landing – level 2
Last week, China’s spacecraft successfully landed on the moon.
The journey to the moon lasted 122 hours, and scientists carefully chose the place to land. The area was called the Ocean of Storms and it was a flat lava area. Nobody explored this place ever before. Cameras recorded the landing and they sent images back to Earth.
The spacecraft will collect about two kilograms of rock and bring it back to Earth. If the spacecraft returns to Earth, it will be a big success for China. Only the US and Soviet Union brought rock from the moon in the past. It happened in the 60s and 70s during the Space Race, when the two countries competed to be the first to land on the moon and send people into space.
Difficult words: lava (rock that comes from a volcano), explore (to travel around a place to learn something new about it), compete (to try to be better at something than somebody else)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos