More Protests in Hong Kong – level 2
Tens of thousands of people protested in Hong Kong on New Year’s Day. Hong Kong officials authorized the protest, but after some protesters clashed with police, they called it off.
The police said that some protesters started fires and damaged shops, but the organizers of the protest said that this was not true, and that the police tried to separate people.
Demonstrations started six months ago as a reaction to a new law to return foreign prisoners to their home countries. Officials from 18 countries told Hong Kong to solve the situation and deal with the protesters’ demands. However, Hong Kong wants to stop the protests and bring the situation back to normal.
Difficult words: clash (to meet and start a violent conflict), call off (to cancel), demonstration (a protest), demand (something that somebody wants).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos