Murder Hornet Nest – level 3
A basketball-size nest of so-called murder hornets has been discovered in the US for the first time; however, sightings began late last year.
Murder hornets are native to the tropical south and east of Asia, and it is unclear how they traveled to the county. Experts hunted down the nest in Washington state by capturing some of the insects and fitting them with tracking devices.
The insects deliver painful stings and they can spit venom; however, they are rarely fatal for humans. They are a bigger threat to honeybees who farmers rely on to pollinate their crops. A small group of hornets can destroy a honeybee hive in a matter of hours.
Difficult words: venom (a poison that an animal makes), fatal (deadly), pollinate (to move the pollen from one plant to another and help the plant reproduce).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos