National Day of Catalonia – level 3
Hundreds of thousands of people gathered in Barcelona, Spain, to celebrate the National Day of Catalonia and to show their support of the impending referendum. Many campaigners waved the pro-independence flag, the estelada.
The referendum, planned for 1st October, has been deemed illegal by Spain, but the Catalan government has vowed to hold the referendum, regardless.
The controversy continues as polls indicate division over independence from Spain.
Difficult words: gather (come together), impending (be about to happen), independence (the state of being independent – free from something), deem (consider), vow (promise), controversy (a public disagreement), indicate (show), division (when people are not united).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos