Nazca Cat – level 2
Nazca in Peru is home to famous Nazca lines that are more than 2,000 years old. Nazca lines are very large geoglyphs that people made in the soil of the Nazca Desert.
Archaeologists found a 37-meter-long cat that was on a rocky hill in an area that they did not explore very much in the past. People made lines that were 30 to 40 centimeters wide to outline the cat, and they used rocks to make the eyes and mouth.
There was strong erosion on the hill, which means that rain and wind took away rocks and soil. This was the reason why archaeologists did not find the cat earlier.
Difficult words: geoglyph (a large drawing in the ground), explore (to travel around a place to learn about it), outline (to draw the shape of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos