New Alzheimer’s Drug – level 3
The US company Biogen is one step closer to get its experimental Alzheimer’s disease drug approved for use in the US.
On Wednesday, the US Food and Drug Administration staff issued documents that showed exceptionally persuasive evidence that the drug was effective. Some people addressed concerns that there had not been enough evidence that the drug worked, after one of Biogen’s two clinical trials failed.
It the drug is approved, it will be the first treatment for Alzheimer’s disease in decades and the first drug that appears to slow progression of the disease. The neurological disease affects 5.7 million people in the US alone, and the majority of people with Alzheimer’s are 65 and older. It causes a slow decline in memory, thinking, and reasoning skills. The symptoms eventually grow severe enough to interfere with daily tasks.
Difficult words: experimental drug (a drug or vaccine that has not been approved yet for use in medicine), persuasive (convincing), progression (development towards a more advanced state).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos