New Bridge – level 1
In August 2018, a bridge falls down in Genoa, Italy. It is a terrible accident. 43 people die.
One year later, workers start to clear the place of the accident. It is important to build a new bridge. Workers work very hard. They work at night, too. They work also during the coronavirus pandemic.
They want to make a bridge that is better and stronger than the old bridge. Workers use steel and concrete. The builder says that the bridge can last 1,000 years.
This week, officials open the new bridge. However, it is not easy to celebrate. Many people are still sad. They remember the accident two years ago.
Difficult words: pandemic (a disease that makes many people sick all over the world), steel (a hard and strong grey material or metal), concrete (a soft grey material that people use to make buildings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.