New classification of guns – level 2
In the last two years, the FBI did more than 78 million checks of gun purchases in the US. This number was more than any two years since 1998.
Every time the US government speaks about gun control, the sales of guns increase. Many people buy guns to feel safe, but some people want to hurt other people.
Previously, credit card companies classified guns and bullets as general goods. Companies couldn’t know who bought a gun and when they bought it.
Now, Visa, American Express, and MasterCard are changing the classification on gun purchases.
Some people hope that the change will show who bought a gun for safety or to hurt someone.
Difficult words: purchase (buy something), classify (to put things into different groups according to their type), classification (groups of things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos