New classification of guns – level 3
Major US credit card companies are reclassifying purchases at gun stores and ammunition shops to reveal gun purchases.
For the first time, Visa, American Express, and MasterCard will start the plan; it will separate gun and ammunition purchases from other kinds of shopping. Previously, these companies classified guns and ammunition as general merchandise.
Over the last several years, gun sales have increased, and they increase even more whenever the US government talks about gun control.
In the last two years, the FBI reported over 78 million background checks for gun purchases, which was more than in any two-year time period since records started in 1998.
Authorities hope that the new classification for credit card purchases will differentiate people who buy a gun for safety from people who buy a gun to harm someone.
Difficult words: merchandise (goods that people buy and sell), classification (the division of things into groups according to their type), differentiate (to recognize the difference between things).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos