New Data Law – level 2
An American senator said that Internet companies say that their products are free but that is not true. He said that people do not pay for their products with money but with their data.
Another senator and he prepared a bill which deals with this problem. If the bill passes, companies will have to tell people what data they collect and how they use it. Users could also delete the data.
The companies would have to make a yearly report which would say how much the user’s data is worth. The companies would also have to say if they sold the data to someone else. One of the senators says that the companies sell people’s data to the highest bidder.
The bill would apply to big tech companies like Facebook and Google, which have more than 100 million monthly users.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.