New Israeli government – level 3
Benjamin Netanyahu has lost his 12-year hold on power in Israel after its parliament voted in a new coalition government.
Right-wing nationalist Naftali Bennet has been sworn as a prime minister, leading a ’government of change’. He’ll lead an unprecedented coalition of parties, which was approved with a thin majority of 60-59, until 2023 when centrist Yeshi Atid will take over.
The new government covers political differences, and the diverse group has eight parties with deep ideological differences.
Anti-Netanyahu demonstrators gathered outside parliament in Jerusalem for the vote, and after the approval of the new government, the city erupted in celebrations.
Difficult words: unprecedented (never done or known before), centrist (a person who holds moderate political views), ideological (relating to certain ideas or beliefs).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos