New Lion – level 3
It´s one of the most iconic images in cinema, a lion, framed by a golden circle of film stock, triumphantly roaring just before the opening credits roll.
The MGM film studio has used a lion to introduce its films since it was founded in 1924, using five different animals before Leo the Lion made his first appearance in 1957.
Now, after almost 100 years, MGM is replacing its mascot for a near-identical computer-generated duplicate. The move came after increases in video resolution and quality marked a significant change in quality since Leo was immortalized on celluloid 64 years ago.
MGM originally planned to debut its new mascot in the latest ‘James Bond’ film; however, ‘No Time to Die’ was delayed from 2019 to 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. MGM has decided Leo´s digital look-alike will be seen with upcoming films ‘Dog’ and ‘Respect’.
Difficult words: triumphantly (in a way that shows joy at a victory or achievement), mascot (a person, animal, or object used as a symbol that is associated with a particular company), immortalize (to help someone or something live or be remembered forever), celluloid (transparent plastic sheets that were used in film and photography in the past).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.