New Materials from Larvae – level 2
The first insect farm in Singapore breeds Black Soldier flies to make new materials from their larvae. A larva is a young insect without wings and legs which later changes into an adult.
In the past, companies made pet food and fertilizers from larvae, and now, it is possible to make new materials. People use these materials in medicine and in electronics, too. The larvae can change food waste into a special material, and scientists can make chitosan from it. Chitosan can reduce pain and people can use it in cosmetics and medicine.
Another material is melanin, which conducts electricity. People can use it in batteries and other things.
One of the farm´s founders said that they used technologies which did not harm the natural world. One reason is people usually got melanin from a squid, but it was a very difficult technology which needed a lot of chemicals. Melanin from larvae is easier and needs less chemicals.
Difficult words: fertilizer (a chemical or natural substance which farmers put into soil to grow more plants), conduct (to make it possible for something to go through), squid (a sea animal with a long body and arms around its mouth).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.