New Recyclable Plastic – level 2
People make plastic products by mixing the plastic with additives. The additives make it difficult to recycle the plastic. To recycle plastic things, people grind them up first, but this new material is not easy to use again.
A laboratory in California made a new type of plastic to deal with this problem. When scientists put the new plastic in a high-acid solution, the plastic and the additives break apart. People can then easily reuse the plastic.
The scientists hope that this new plastic will help the planet and that there will be less plastic.
Difficult words: additive (a thing that people add/put in to help make something), grind (cut up in very small pieces), high-acid solution (a mixture with a lot of acid—acid helps to break up things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.