New rules on the US-Mexico border – level 2
The Biden administration has started a big change in how they manage the border between the United States and Mexico.
A rule called Title 42 which made it quick to send many migrants back across the border because of COVID-19 ended, and new rules to limit asylum just began. This caused confusion and uncertainty, especially because many experts asked courts to decide if the new rules were fair. US officials are worried that lots of people will come to the border, so they are watching carefully to see what happens. The Mexican government also made it harder for people to travel within their country, which makes it harder for migrants. They worry that children will separate from their parents.
Difficult words: asylum (when someone leaves his country because he is in danger and someone else offers a safe place to stay), confusion (when someone doesn’t understand a situation or doesn’t know what to do), separate (to keep someone or something apart from each other).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the implications of the recent changes in US-Mexico border management on both governments and migrants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.