New sensors help women – level 3
An interdisciplinary team of scientists has developed a wireless network of three soft, flexible sensors that can measure the vital signs during labor of both the mother and her fetus.
The chest sensor senses the mother´s heart rate and the body temperature. It can also sense movements that can be interpreted into the maternal position during labor. The chest sensor communicates with the one on the mother´s finger which gives the pulse oxygen levels and the pulse rate. These two sensors are time synchronized, and they can generate a wireless blood pressure measurement. The last sensor on the belly provides data on uterine contractions and the fetal heart rate.
The sensors allow for continuous monitoring during labor that could even be done remotely, and mothers at home could be reassured that they and their children are doing well.
Difficult words: interdisciplinary (relating to more than one branch of knowledge), fetus (an unborn human being or animal), uterine contraction (the tightening and shortening of the muscles in a woman´s lower abdomen during labor), fetal (relating to the fetus).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.