New Tax in Qatar – level 2
Qatar’s new tax took effect at the beginning of the year. People put it into practice on products which Qatar thinks are not good for people. The extra money from the tax will be used for public services like schools, infrastructure and hospitals.
There is a 100 percent tax increase on alcohol, tobacco products, and energy drinks, as well as a 50 percent tax on soft drinks. However, the alcohol tax is only for foreigners because they are the only people who can buy alcohol in Qatar.
Qatar is hosting the men’s football World Cup in 2022. The details are not known, but there might be special areas where visitors can have a drink.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.