New technologies in US power plants – level 3
The US government is planning to mandate natural gas-fired power plants to install technology for capturing carbon emissions, as part of President Biden’s efforts to decarbonize the power sector within 12 years.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is expected to announce new standards for existing and new power plants that contribute to around 25% of US greenhouse gas emissions. The rules would replace former President Trump’s American Clean Energy rule and former President Obama’s Clean Power Plan, both of which were invalidated by courts. The new rules will be based on a plant’s potential to reduce emissions via carbon capture and storage technology.
The proposal is expected to create a level playing field between new gas plants and new renewable energy, making it harder for gas plants to compete with solar and wind power.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What economic and environmental implications could the US government's new standards have?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.