New York subway shooting – level 2
On Tuesday morning, people in New York were traveling by subway when suddenly one of the carriages filled with black smoke.
A man in a gas mask had detonated two smoke grenades, and he started to shoot at the passengers. 40 to 50 people were in the carriage, and police said that the man killed ten and injured more than 20 of them. Other passengers tried to get out of the train, but it wasn’t possible until the train stoopped. The man then ran away, and police announced that they were looking for a 62-year-old man, who could be the killer.
New York City’s mayor said that it was necessary to change the gun laws and to stop such attacks. The city also announced that it would double the number of police officers in the New York subway.
Difficult words: carriage (one separate part of a train which carries people), detonate (to make something explode), mayor (the leader of a city or town).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos