Nigeria explosion – level 2
Last Friday, an explosion at an illegal oil refinery killed at least 110 people in southern Nigeria.
The explosion was so big that it was impossible to recognize the dead bodies lying on the ground. Officials said that they were looking for two people who may be responsible for the explosion. The accident drew attention to this big business, which was very dangerous and harmful for the natural world.
Unemployment in Nigeria grew a lot in the past ten years, and many people started to work at illegal oil refineries. The workers steal oil from official pipelines, clean it in the bush, and then sell it. They camp at the refineries for many weeks, and they often work at night.
Difficult words: oil refinery (a place where people clean crude oil, and they make petrol or other products from it), attention (when someone listens, sees, or notices something), unemployment (when a person is without a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.