Niqab in Tunisia – level 2
The niqab is a type of veil which some Muslim women wear. They wear it in public to cover all of their face apart from the eyes.
There were two suicide bombing attacks in the Tunisian capital last week. One police officer and a civilian died in the attacks. After police caught the organiser of the attacks, people started saying that he was wearing a niqab. The police said that it was not true that he was wearing a niqab.
Tunisia’s prime minister banned niqab in official buildings because of security. Tunisia is not the only country which does this. Critics hope that the ban is not forever.
Difficult words: veil (a piece of material which covers the face), civilian (a ‘normal’ person, not a soldier or a police officer), ban (make something illegal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos