Niqab in Tunisia – level 3
The niqab is a veil worn by some Muslim women in public, which covers all of the face apart from the eyes. It is a way of dressing modestly and it is a symbol of their faith.
Tunisia’s prime minister recently banned the niqab in government buildings and public institutions, citing security concerns. His decision comes after two suicide bombing attacks happened in Tunis, the country’s capital, last week. A police officer and a civilian died in the attacks.
Though police denied the fact, rumours spread that the coordinator of the attacks wore a niqab after he was caught. Tunisia joined a growing number of countries to ban the niqab for security reasons. Activists hope that the ban is only temporary.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.