No Electricity in South America – level 1
Last Sunday, two hydroelectric plants in Argentina fail. This happens in the morning. This makes the whole system fail. Almost 50 million people lose electricity. Most of them are in Argentina. Uruguay and Paraguay also lose power.
People want to know why the system fails. They are investigating the incident.
Difficult words: hydroelectric plant (a big wall which holds water – some water goes down and makes electricity), whole system (the complete group), investigate (find out why something happens).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos