No Helmets in American Football – level 3
America’s National Football League has been trying to reduce the risk of concussion over the last five years, and it has recently reached an almost one-billion-dollar legal settlement with ex-players suffering from head trauma, depression, memory loss, and mood swings.
The chairman of the NFL’s Health and Safety Advisory Commission thinks that helmets could be banned in the future, as experts say they give players a false sense of security. In recent years, banning helmets has been raised by some doctors and ex-players so that the human head could not be used as a weapon. But it has not really being taken seriously.
On the other hand, some people have also suggested that there would be inevitably incidental collisions, where fracturing the skull or the face is a realistic concern.
Difficult words: concussion (when you hit your head very hard and it hurts your brain), legal settlement (when the law says that you must pay money for something you did wrong), trauma (an injury), a false sense of security (an idea that you are safe when you are not), inevitable (something that will happen), fracture (break), fundamental (important).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you think that American football is safe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.