Nobel Peace Prize Winners – level 2
Trump may get a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. If he wins, he would be one of many controversial people who won the award.
Henry Kissinger won the award for his North Vietnam peace talks, but critics say that he was part of America’s secret bombing raids in Cambodia and in Vietnam.
Aung San Suu Kyi won the award as she fought to help Myanmar become democratic, but critics say that she is not stopping the ethnic cleansing happening there now.
Yasser Arafat won the award for trying to bring peace to Palestine and to Israel, but critics say that he was part of terrorism against Israel.
Barack Obama won an award for trying to help the people of the world work together, but critics say that he was also involved in the Libyan war.
Difficult words: controversial (you can argue against something if it is controversial), raid (a quick attack), ethnic cleansing (when a people tries to kill off or send away another group of people who are different than them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.