Northern Ireland’s Changes – level 1
The UK government helps to run Northern Ireland. It is going to make changes there. It is going to let same–sex marriage and abortions be legal.
Women can look for abortions and not get in trouble. Same-sex people can marry on Valentine’s Day, 2020.
These changes are part of new laws for Northern Ireland. It uses the laws to run without a government. It does not have a government since 2017.
On Monday, officials meet to stop the changes. They can stop the changes if they choose a new government. However, they cannot agree to choose a new leader. The changes start at 12 AM on Monday.
Difficult words: run (when a large group or area works as one place), same-sex (men who like men and women who like women), abortion (when a pregnant woman does not have a baby), legal (when something can happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.