Norway Landslide – level 2
A helicopter rescued a dog that could not leave a piece of land after a landslide moved the land in Norway. The landslide happened on Wednesday morning, and a local man filmed it.
When the man saw that the land started to move, he quickly ran away. The landslide was the largest that ever happened in the Alta area in Norway. It was 2,100 feet wide and 492 feet high, and it swept eight houses into the sea. However, most houses were holiday homes, and they were empty. Local police said that nobody was hurt in the disaster, and nobody went missing.
Alta is located in the north of Norway, and large forests are there. Many people visit this area to watch the Northern Lights. The Northern Lights are special colors in the sky that people can see at night.
Difficult words: landslide (when earth or rock starts to move down a mountain or cliff), sweep (to remove something from a place, usually with a hand or brush, or when water or wind move things away), go missing (when nobody knows where someone or something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.