Notes to God – level 2
The Western Wall is in the Old City of Jerusalem, Israel, and for the Jewish people, it is the most sacred place in the world.
Thousands of people come to the wall to pray, and some put written prayers in the wall’s cracks. These prayers are notes to God, and most people pray for the unity of the people of Israel.
Last week, a team of men cleared the cracks to make place for new notes. They used long wooden sticks or only their hands. The tradition is to bury these notes on Jerusalem’s Mount of Olives. It happens every year on the evening of Passover, the most important holiday for Jewish people. They remember the story of how the Israelites left Egypt.
Difficult words: sacred (connected with God), pray (to speak to a god), unity (being together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the purpose of burying the notes on Jerusalem's Mount of Olives?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos