Obesity and Coronavirus – level 2
Doctors say that there is a connection between obesity and serious COVID-19 cases.
There was a study that included 5,200 people who were sick with COVID-19. More than 30% of them were obese, and there was a high chance that these people would end up in hospital. This explains why some communities have more serious problems with COVID-19.
In the US, more than 42% of people are obese, and these are mainly Black and Hispanic people. This is the reason why so many sick people are Black or Hispanic.
Doctors know why obese people have more serious health problems when they catch the coronavirus. These people often have diabetes or heart problems, which makes it harder to fight COVID-19. Also, it is hard for obese people to breathe because of the fat around their lungs.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.