Obesity and Coronavirus – level 3
Doctors say that they have seen a link between obesity and serious COVID-19 cases.
Researchers confirm that obesity could be a reason why certain communities have been harder hit by COVID-19 than others. In one study of 5,200 infected people, more than a third were obese, and the chances of those people being hospitalized were higher than for other people. The obesity rate in the US is around 42%, and it is most prevalent among Black and Hispanic communities.
Obese people may have a harder time fighting the virus due to other health complications, such as heart disease and diabetes. Serious cases of the coronavirus affect lungs, and doctors say that extra fat could limit the lungs´ ability to expand.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.