Oil in the sea – level 3
A group of fishermen were outraged when they came across a large oil spill with thick clumps covering the Gulf of Paria in Trinidad, after a new leak along a crude pipeline in early August.
Gary Aboud and Fishermen and Friends of the Sea documented the spill, and they criticized the clean-up attempt by the oil company Paria Fuel Trading. They called for the company to contain the oil and collect it instead of dispersing it with boats.
Hundreds of oil spills have been recorded in one of the most biodiverse areas of Trinidad and Tobago. Big ships drive around and make circles in the oil to clean it; however, this makes the oil go to the seabed where it causes enormous damage, and it contaminates the food chain.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.