Oldest Oak Trees in Europe – level 2
Around ad 1100, oak trees grow in a forest in England. The oak trees grow for another 920 years and live through two world wars, a civil war and the Middle Ages. These are the oldest oak trees in Europe.
No one knew that these trees were so old until a botanist asked to study them. By looking at the circumference of the trees, people learned how old they were. The trees are special because of their age and their number.
Difficult words: ad (“anno domini” – in the year of our Lord, in the time after the death of Jesus Christ), the Middle Ages (the time when Britain had castles), botanist (a person who studies plants), circumference (the size of the outside of a round object).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have trees this old where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.