Olive oil is expensive – level 2
The price of making a traditional Pizza Margherita at home in Italy went up more than two times faster than the general rise in prices last month.
This happened because olive oil costs went up very much, by nearly a third. Among different essential foods, olive oil costs saw the largest rise. In July, the overall cost of preparing a pizza increased by 13.5% compared to the previous year, while the national inflation rate was 5.9%.
A severe drought in Spain, the world’s biggest olive oil producer, meant that prices went up. Cooking pizza at home using electricity got cheaper, but the prices of flour, mozzarella, and tomatoes all rose.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other factors could have contributed to the rise in cost for making a traditional Pizza Margherita at home in Italy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.