Olympic ban – level 2
35 ministers took part in an online meeting to discuss a ban on Russian and Belarusian athletes to take part in the 2024 Olympics in Paris, France.
Almost all ministers agreed with the ban, but Greece, France, and Japan were against it. Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said that 228 Ukrainian athletes and coaches already died in the war with Russia. Ukraine said that it would boycott the Olympics if Russian and Belarusian athletes competed.
The International Olympic Committee hopes that it will not be necessary for Ukraine to boycott the Games. The IOC suggests that Russian and Belarusian athletes could compete as neutrals.
Difficult words: boycott (not to take part in something or to buy a product as a way of protest), compete (to take part in a game or match), neutral (an athlete who competes at an international event but he doesn’t represent his country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think the outcome of this meeting will be?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.