Pele dies – level 3
Pele was the legendary Brazilian soccer player who rose from barefoot poverty to one of the greatest and best-known athletes in modern history. He recently died at the age of 82.
Pele was the only man to win the World Cup three times as a player. In his glorious 21-year career, he scored a grand total of 1,283 goals. He transcended soccer like no player before him, and with his winning smile, he became one of the first global icons of the 20th century.
During and after Pele’s career in soccer, he was better known than many Hollywood stars or political figures who he met. The news about his death saddened the world; however, many Brazilians said that they were proud of such a genius athlete and great person from their country.
Pele died in a hospital in Sao Paulo where he was undergoing treatment. His death was due to multiple organ failures from the progression of colon cancer.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.