People Can Test for COVID-19 at Home – level 2
The US organization that approves new drugs has approved the first COVID-19 testing kit. People will use the kit at home, and they will test themselves for COVID-19.
People will use a special stick that is called a swab. There is a piece of cotton at the end of the stick, and people will put the stick in their noses. They will know the result within 30 minutes. The test will cost around $50, and people will be able to buy it in drugstores in Spring 2021.
There have been many new cases of COVID-19 in the US. Some companies said that they would make a COVID-19 vaccine soon. But it is still very important to test as many people as possible. If people buy the test, they will not have to stand in long lines to get tested and wait several days for a result.
Difficult words: kit (a group of things that belong together and people use them for a specific activity or task), stick (a long thin piece of wood), cotton (soft white material that people use to make clothes and other things), case (a situation when a person gets sick), vaccine (a medicine that helps a person get less sick from a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.