People destroy old shelters – level 1
In western Australia, 46,000 years ago, aboriginal people make rock shelters. Rock shelters are homes in the rocks. People live in these shelters for a very long time. The shelters are famous.
In May 2020, a mining company talks to the owners of the shelters. The company does not listen to them. It makes a mine in the place. It destroys the shelters.
Many people are angry. One of the leaders talks from an aboriginal group. He is sad. He also says that the company and the group need to work together. He does not want this to happen again.
The company is in trouble. The boss and some leaders lose their jobs.
Difficult words: aboriginal (the first people who live in a place), mining (the activity of taking rocks and other things out of the ground), mine (a place where you take rocks and other things out of the ground), destroy (to break into many pieces).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos