People die after eating mushrooms – level 2
Australian authorities are investigating why three people died after eating wild mushrooms at a family lunch.
Detectives interviewed Erin Patterson, who cooked the meal on July 29. She didn’t fall ill herself, and she is the main suspect at the moment. Her recent statement explains what happened before the poisoning. Erin herself became sick after eating the beef Wellington dish, which she later gave to the police as evidence. The mushrooms used in the dish were a mix of button mushrooms from a supermarket and dried ones from an Asian grocery store. Erin said that she was very sorry for what happened.
But police are not sure about the mushroom type. They still need to investigate what mushrooms the other people ate and how they got in the meal.
Difficult words: investigate (to find out what happened), suspect (a person who police believe did something bad), evidence (the information or things which make people believe that something is or is not true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What evidence has been gathered so far to determine the type of mushrooms that were consumed by the individuals who suffered from poisoning?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.