People die on a mountain – level 3
It was a dark and cold Thursday night on Mount Elbrus, the highest peak of the Caucasus Mountains, when a sudden snowstorm struck 19 climbers trying to reach the Russian summit.
Strong winds, low visibility and temperatures that plummeted to minus 20 degrees Celsius began to hurt the group, and they called for help just after 5 pm local time. One woman, who turned back after feeling unwell, died in the arms of one of the guides. Four more people died after reaching the summit, with two freezing to death in the endless storm. Another climber broke his leg while guides suffered frostbite and other injuries.
The route to the top of the 5,642-meter dormant volcano is known to be particularly dangerous, and between 15 to 30 people die each year attempting to reach its summit.
Difficult words: summit (the very top of a mountain or something very tall), dormant (inactive), frostbite (when cold air or water freezes parts of your body).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos