People Eat Less Chocolate – level 3
People in the US and Europe are eating less chocolate, and the impact is being felt thousands of kilometers away in the Ivory Coast.
The West African country is a major producer of cocoa beans, the key ingredient of chocolate. Now, unsold cocoa beans are piling up with around 100,000 tons stranded in the bush. Farmers worry that buyers won´t be interested in buying cocoa beans at a fixed price and that they will not sell their beans. Chocolate buyers in Europe and the US ask for a delay in deliveries, and the downturn in orders is hitting livelihoods. Farmers don´t have enough money to send their children to school and cocoa beans are piling up at ports.
While eating less chocolate might be good for consumers in the West, the downturn is causing havoc in African countries.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.