People From a Rainforest – level 3
Brazil’s indigenous authority filmed the moment an isolated native people emerged from the Amazon rainforest and made contact with the outside world. The natives wore loincloths and carried bows and arrows.
This happened along the banks of the Envira River, which is near the Peruvian border. The footage showed men from the Panoan linguistic group as they interacted with local villagers of northern Brazil. One of the villagers gave bananas to two of the natives, wary of approaching him, as they quickly grabbed the fruit and retreated out of arm’s reach.
Brazilian experts said that the indigenous people were likely crossing the border from Peru, as they were facing pressure from illegal logging and drug trafficking at their home.
Difficult words: indigenous (native), emerge (come out), loincloth (a piece of cloth which covers your private parts), linguistic (language), wary (careful), retreat (move back), log (to cut down trees).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.