People in a dirty river – level 2
Last week, Hindus in northern India celebrated the Chhat Puja festival, which was for the sun god Lord Surya.
A few days before the festival, white foam covered the Yamuna River, where Hindus usually take a religious bath during the festival. Experts said that the water was toxic, and it contained dangerous chemicals. Farmers often use these chemicals, and they can make skin and breathing problems. Sadly, some people said that they had to bathe in the dangerous water because it was a part of the festival.
The Yamuna River is one of the most polluted rivers near Delhi. For many years, people put toxic chemicals and sewage in its waters, and its sides were full of plastic trash.
Difficult words: toxic (something that can hurt or kill), polluted (very dirty air, water, ground, and so on), sewage (a mixture of water and human trash which goes from houses and buildings in pipes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos